Saturday, June 6, 2015

Book Review: Diana: The Secret Years

Author: Simone Simmons w/Susan Hill
Title: Diana: The Secret Years
Publisher: Ballentine Books
Publish Date: August 3, 1999
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: 
Though many have written about Diana, Princess of Wales, few have known her as intimately as Simone Simmons, the woman who became Diana's close friend and confidante following her painful separation and divorce.

A beautiful tribute to the remarkable woman behind the image, here is Diana as we have never seen her before--the secret forays she took, often hiding in plain sight in various disguises, to Hampstead Heath and the jazz clubs of Soho; her deepest feelings about Prince Charles, Camilla Parker Bowles, and the royal family; the shocking truth about Diana's one true love and how losing him led her into the arms of playboy millionaire Dodi Fayed. Full of penetrating insight and startling new revelations, Diana: The Secret Years brings the People's Princess vividly to life for the people who love her--and who continue to celebrate her enduring memory and lasting legacy.


Review:  I have to admit I'm a Diana junkie. When she passed away, I think I read almost everything I could get my hands on. This was the last book I had laying around the house.

It is definitely fluff reading, but I didn't expect it to be otherwise.

Like so many of the other books by Diana's so called friends, I felt like she was tooting her own horn about how important she was to the Princess and, of course, there was nothing new to be found in this short read, even the photos were ones that I've seen a million time.

Simone's writing did very little to make you form any new opinions on the Princess. It was a decent enough book, but it really didn't deliver, though the book jacket promised much.

This book was so tabloid-esque that I kind of felt guilty reading it.

Rating: 3 flowers


0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs