Thursday, July 24, 2014

Book Review: Suddenly Last Summer

Author: Sarah Morgan
Title: Suddenly Last Summer
Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: June 24, 2014
Buy: Amazon
Review Copy Provided By: Net Galley
Book Blurb: 
Fiery French chef Élise Philippe is having a seriously bad day. Not only have the grand opening plans for her beloved café fallen apart, but Sean O'Neil is back in town and looking more delectable than ever. Memories of the electrifying night they shared last summer leave Élise very tempted, but she knows all too well that eventually Sean will be leaving…again.

Being back in Vermont—even temporarily—is surgeon Sean O'Neil's worst nightmare. Returning home to the Snow Crystal Resort means confronting the guilt he feels about rejecting his family's lifestyle years ago. But discovering that Élise is still in Vermont and still sets his blood racing is a very welcome distraction! Remembering last summer and how good they were together is going to make walking away more difficult than he could imagine….

Review: I adored Sleigh Bells In The Snow, so I was really eager to read the next book in the O'Neil trilogy. This is Sean and Elise's story.

Elise was so spunky and outspoken in the first book, and she is still that way here, but for some reason, I didn't like her as much in her own story as I did in Jackson and Kayla's. Go figure. I think it was because she was so damaged by her past relationship that it made things hard for her to move on, when love was knocking at her door.

Sean on the other hand is a dream. I love the O'Neil men. They are so different from the alpha males that can be found in the Presents heroes. These guys have a lot more heart. Sure Sean is a workaholic, but he's also a good doctor, so you can see his reasoning in not wanting a relationship. In fact, its almost admirable.

The story opens with Sean's grandfather suffering a heart attack. This brings him home to Snow Crystal. I can't begin to say how much I love this resort. If it existed, I would want to go there. His relationship with his grandfather is strained, but through his almost relationship with Elise he starts to mend fences, and he learns her secrets too.

I burst in tears reading the scene where little Sam was injured on one of the trails. I loved seeing how good Sean was at his job and how good he was with a child.

There's a lot of heat between Elise and Sean too. It isn't all family stuff. These two are smokin' hot and they usually find themselves gettin' in on outside. Thankfully there was no poison ivy about!

I knew they would have a happily ever after, but I was relieved when Elise finally admitted her love for Sean.

It was great to see the whole family in this story and to see Jackson and Kayla's relationship moving on too.

Now I can't wait for Tyler's story!

Rating: 5 flowers



2 comments:

The_Book_Queen said...

I so loved this series! I loved book 1 more, but still gave Suddenly Last Summer a solid 4 stars. I'm dying for Tyler's book, I've had my eye on him from the start! I saw it up on NetGalley the other night, and quickly snatched it up, so here's hoping I can start reading in the next week!

Enjoy,
TBQ

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Me too! I have it loaded to my nook now :)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs