Sunday, May 18, 2014

Book Review: The Bog Warrior

Author: Cecelia Ahern
Title: The Bog Warrior
Publisher: Random House UK
Publish Date: May 8, 2014
Buy: Amazon
Review Copy Provided By: Net Galley
Book Blurb: 
Arriving on the planet Cashel, the Tenth Doctor witnesses a strange masked ball. To guarantee peace, Prince Zircon has to choose a bride from the Bog People – dead men and women who have been resurrected as slaves. Or as warriors. But Zircon is in love with the enslaved Princess Ash, whose parents were deposed and executed by the current Queen. As usual, the Doctor has walked right into trouble, and it's up to him to sort it out.

Review: When there's still several months before we get any new Who, I try to devour Doctor Who stories. I've read a lot of Cecelia Ahern's novels and I was really interested in seeing how she'd do with a Doctor Who short story.

I wish I could say she did well, but the story really lacked something.

Maybe it was the Doctor. He didn't feel like he was there, and this is a story that featured The Tenth Doctor. Maybe it was because he was traveling alone, but I never felt like this was a Doctor adventure I could really get into, and it was only about 30 pages long!

I liked the Cinderella-esque nature of the story, that keeps with the Chick-lit genre that Ahern usually writes in, but the way all the events unfolded and the way 10 acted, I had to wonder if she had ever watched one of his episodes.

Then there were the characters, Princess Ash, Prince Zircon, Root. In the short duration of the story, I couldn't connect with them at all.

Not one of the better short stories I've read.

Rating: 2 flowers


0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs