Friday, November 9, 2012

TLC Book Tour Book Review: Elegy For Eddie


Author: Jacqueline Winspear
Title: Elegy For Eddie
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Publish Date: Oct 30, 2012
Buy: Amazon
Review Copy Provided By: TLC Book Tours & the publisher
Book Blurb: Early April 1933. To the costermongers of Covent Garden—sellers of fruits and vegetables on the London streets—Eddie Pettit was a gentle soul with a near-magical gift for working with horses. So who would want to kill him . . . and why? Maisie Dobbs's father, Frankie, had been a costermonger, and she remembers Eddie fondly. But it soon becomes clear that powerful political and financial forces are determined to prevent her from learning the truth behind Eddie's death. Maisie's search for answers on the working-class streets of Lambeth leads her to unexpected places and people: to a callous press baron; to a has been politician named Winston Churchill; and, most surprisingly, to Douglas Partridge, the husband of her dearest friend, Priscilla. As Maisie uncovers lies and manipulation on a national scale, she must decide whether to risk everything to see justice done.

Review: I have always wanted to read one of Jacqueline Winspear's books. I've heard a lot about this series and it is definitely something up my alley. It takes place in the 1930s and in England.

Once again I find myself jumping into a series late in the game. Elegy for Eddie is book 9 in the series. I know many people are groaning that I have done this, but I will often read one book so I get to know the characters.

I love when cozy mysteries are seeped in history and that's really what this book is. This book really gives you a picture of Europe during Hitlers rise to power. I love books with characters that are "real" in them. This series reminds me of Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series as well.

I highly recommend it to fans of cozy mysteries, historical fiction and light romance. I definitely plan on reading the rest of the books in this series


Review: 5 flowers






1 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I have the Maisie Dobbs books AND the Rhys Bowen books on my wishlist ... boy am I behind in my reading! I really need to make time to get to know these characters that everyone raves about!

Thanks for being on the tour.

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs