Thursday, May 5, 2011

Book Lovin Bitches Book Tour & Review: Torn Asunder

Torn Asunder
Author: Kiki Howell
Title: Torn Asunder
Publisher: Createspace
Publish Date: Oct 9, 2010
Review Copy Provided By: Book Lovin' Bitches Ebook Tours & the author
Buy: Amazon
Book Blurb: Aubrey Griffen is a witch whose true reasons for coming to London soon fall to the wayside when she catches the eye of Edmund Bryant, the Marquess of Dalysbury. He seduces her into a whirlwind romance until the lies and threats of his mother force her to flee to Triaill Brimuir, a secret island of her ancestors off the coast of Ireland. Edmund goes after her only to be hit by Aubrey's confusion and anger when she magically transforms him into an elemental beast of her own creation. However, it is when Edmund's lust mysteriously turns him back into a man that the couple are forced to deal with a family secret and untold of powers. Now, Edmund must learn to shift himself into the beast in order to save her in a battle of black verses white magic. Fraught with scenes of explicit intimacy, romantic spells and mystical shapeshifting, Torn Asunder is a unique blending of the age of manners with sexual magic.

Review: Kiki Howell creates a unique story that is part fantasy, part erotic novel and part regency romance. I wanted to like this book a little more than I did, which is not to say that there is anything wrong with it, it just didn't completely click with me at the beginning.

I just wasn't convinced with Edmund and Aubrey's love. It just felt too hurried for the sacrifices that they were making. However, once Aubrey was sent to the island off the Irish coast, the story picks up and I really began to enjoy the characters.

I loved how Kiki used both black and white magic to weave her story, as well as an inclusion of the Pendle Witches. I think this really added something to the story that made me want to keep the pages turning. These elements really helped to make the relationship between Aubery and Edmund a little more believable as well as really cementing their attraction.

As the story moved on the relationships with Edmund's family really heated things up, especially as the reader discovers some of his mother's secrets. This really helped hold my interest, because the sex in this story didn't sit well with me. It felt like sex for the sake of sex rather than sex that fit in with the story. That was really my main gripe with the story, but that is just me. I was raised on regency romances, so I'm not used to them being so full of sex.

All that aside, Kiki Howell really wrote a great story here. She is definitely an author I will try again in the future.

Rating: 3 flowers



Author Info: website/twitter






0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs