Friday, December 10, 2010

1001 Books To Read Before You Die?

Ok, so there's a book, going around telling us what books we need to read before we die!

Oh dear!

I bet there's no romance on that list!

I'm sure the book is like the 1001 Places To See Before You Die books. Which are kind of cool, because they show you places in your own area that you might miss out on. It was also fun to see what places I'd been to on the list unknowingly.

But back to this list...that you can find here

I thought I'd share the books I've already read..then I may consider taking part in this challenge

1900s
The World According to Garp – John Irving
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Delta of Venus – Anaïs Nin
Interview With the Vampire – Anne Rice
Fear of Flying – Erica Jong
2001: A Space Odyssey – Arthur C. Clarke
The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
The Story of O – Pauline Réage
Lord of the Flies – William Golding
Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier
Orlando – Virginia Woolf
Tender is the Night – F. Scott Fitzgerald

1800s
Dracula – Bram Stoker
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë
Moby-Dick – Herman Melville
The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain

1700s
Dangerous Liaisons – Pierre Choderlos de Laclos  

Geeze so far only 20 books, and looking at some of the titles, there really aren't many that I want to read.  Plus it seems to list entire bibliographies of certain authors. Which really seems ridiculous if you ask me. And then there's Anne Rice, only Interview makes the list? Uh...who decides this?


So what do you guys think of these lists? Do you care about them? They certainly make me feel like I read too much fluff. But then again, I like fluff, and so many of these books don't seem to interest me.

2 comments:

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

I like fluff too! Yes, I'm going to work my way through the list.... over a very long time though, because I need to mix it up with lots of "fluff"!

India Drummond said...

When I got down to #300 or so and found I'd only read 6 of the books, I gave up. Generally I don't like lists like this. A person could do nothing but read from now until the day they die and not read all the books worth reading. But the real reason I'm not keen on these lists is the snobbery. There's a *right* sort of book and a *wrong* sort of book. Hint: Anything you could buy in an airport is the *wrong* sort of book. I hate that crap... and it's not true. Read what makes you happy. Reading is for love, not duty.

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs