Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Review: Naked

Naked

Author: Megan Hart
Title: Naked
Publisher: Spice
Publish Date: August 1, 2010
Rating: 3 Stars
Book Blurb: No strings. No regrets. And no going back.

I didn't think he wanted me. And I wasn't about to get involved with him, not after what I'd heard. Sure, Alex Kennedy was tall, dark and unbearably hot, but I've been burned before. When I solicited him to model for my erotic photography book, I didn't expect such a heated, passionate photo session. And now that we've crossed that line, our bodies aren't the only things that have been exposed.

But I can't give my heart to a man who's so… unconventional. His last sexual relationship was with a married couple. It's enough that my ex-fiancé preferred men, I can't take that chance again no matter how much my body thrives on Alex's touch. I can't risk it, but I can't resist it, either.

Alex can be very convincing when he wants something.

And he wants me.

Review: Megan Hart really writes great stories about unique relationships. That said, as a work of erotic fiction, the book falls flat. Not to mention Naked is a sequel to her 2008 book Tempted and the Spice Brief Everything Changes. Having read Naked without the benefit of reading the other stories didn't really affect my perception of the story, but I think it would have made it easier to understand Alex, who you really don't get to know well, even though he's the hero of the book.

Then there's Olivia, a stronger than usual heroine, with more problems with life than anyonce can imagine.

1. Her ex-boyfriend is gay, and for the first part of the book, she was still in love with him, even though he was with another guy.

2. Her adoptive parents are Catholic (Dad) and Jewish (Mom) and both long for her to embrace their faith. It doesn't help that they divorced when she was young either.

3. She has a daughter she gave up for adoption after a post breakup fling and that choice has caused her problems with her family too.

4. Alex is the guy, her ex doesn't want her to have...and he has some issues too, he likes girls and boys.

So yeah, Olivia has some issues and yet she remains strong and very open-minded, even when things are really shitty for her, however some of the shitty things in her life are of her own making. I mean, staying BFFs with the guy that broke you heart and is now screwing half the male population? WTF is up with that?

Then there's Alex Kennedy. His door swings both ways. Does she not learn? They hook up so quickly that it just seems odd, and other than sex, the book doesn't illustrate why these two should be engaged? And the hot sex? Well it doesn't come off as erotic or spicey. Truth be told, I've read Harlequin Blaze that had better sex scenes. Yet the book was compelling, more for Olivia's story than for the sex. This story would probably be a whole lot better if the sex weren't so in your face especially in a story that was really dramatic.

But of all Olivia's problems Alex is the one that really stands out. He's just not likable and during some points of the story he's almost as big of a jerk as her ex-fiance, Patrick. He really makes it hard for the reader to feel much empathy for him, and you really hope Olivia wises up and dumps him, but who dumps a guy that gives you a huge rock and a $5000.00 camera?

This story had such potential, but it really ended up being a let down.

~ Readers Note: I absolutely loved that the story was set in Central Pennsylvania and that Alex's family was from Sandusky, Ohio, two parts of the country that I know and love!

* This book was provided by Net Galley and the Publisher

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs