Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book Review: I Am A Dalek

Author:Gareth Roberts
Title: I Am A Dalek
Publisher:  Random House UK
Publish Date: August 2006
Rating: 5 Stars
Book Blurb: Equipped with space suits, golf clubs and a flag, the Doctor and Rose are planning to live it up, Apollo mission-style, on the Moon. But the TARDIS has other plans, landing them instead in a village on the south coast of England; a picture-postcard sort of place where nothing much happens. Until now... An archaeological dig has turned up a Roman mosaic, circa 70 A.D., depicting mythical scenes, grapes - and a Dalek. A few days later a young woman, rushing for work, is knocked over and killed by a bus, then comes back to life. It's not long before all hell breaks loose, and the Doctor and Rose must use all their courage and cunning against an alien enemy - and a not-quite-alien accomplice - who are intent on destroying humanity.
Review: This was a Doctor Who Quick Book with only 104 pages but it really packs a punch in those pages. The more Who books I read, the more I wish they had been made into episodes, as I found a lot of the episodes in 10's era to be pretty lame, even though Tennant was a fantastic doctor.

This story features one Dalek and how it tries to return to life after being sent to earth during the Time War. There's also a little issue of The Dalek Factor which has corrupted some human, DNA turning one call center employee into a wannabe exterminator!

I really liked Rose in this story, and Rose is one of my least favorite of the companions. Her interactions with Kate the human Dalek were really amusing, especially when Kate went from being a ginger to a blonde. Kate commented that she was naturally blonde. I LOL'd at that.

This was a really a fun read, but how could it not be, it is the Doctor!!

2 comments:

Aleksandra said...

I should get this one :) Sounds great!!!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I haven't read any of the Doctor Who books, but then I'm getting a bit behind... I missed the last few episodes of the latest series!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs