Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Abandoned Books

In all my many years of reading I can only think of one book that I've truly never finished, until now.

Anne Rice's Queen Of The Damned is the first book to be abandoned by me, as a book I just couldn't get into. Now Tanith Lee's Darkness I is trying to join the ranks. I've been reading it for weeks now off and on and I can't get more than 100 pages in. I hate to think that I've wasted my time reading what I have.

There's just something about the book that doesn't grab me. Maybe because the story just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I know that it is part of a triology but there isn't even any backstory so everything is a bit muddled for me. I may just put it down and hunt down the other two books and see if it makes any more sense to me a second time around.

I truly hate abandoning books.

What was the last book you couldn't finish?

3 comments:

ham1299 said...

I hate to admit it, but the last one I couldn't finish was The Hobbit. I think I was in the second chapter when I gave up. I plan to try again soon.

Anonymous said...

My rule of thumb is to give a book 100 pages or so before I'll abandon it. (Life is too short to read a book you don't like.)

Unless it's for a book group and I'll plow on through it as I am with my current read, Acacia. It's not that I dislike it, but it's just not my cup of tea and there are a zillion other books clamoring for my attention.

WonderBunny said...

Outlander. I can't do it... I've been listening to it (all 32 hours). I'm over halfway done but I can't keep going. I just can't.

I'm stopping by from the book blogger hop, I hope you'll come visit me at cookiesbooksbikes.com

Happy reading!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs