Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Book Ratings And Other Assorted Markings

I read so many books that sometimes I re-read a few without knowing that I'm doing it. Much like I did with the Betty Neels book I recently read. Sometimes the covers just blend together and you just don't remember until your a few pages in, or sometimes halfway through!

My grandmother used to put a little "x" with a circle around it in the top corner of the first page of any book she finished. Her friend Evelyn, left an "E" in the same general area. My gram and I traded books so those little markings made it easier for me to know who should get the books next. Of course, when I find a book with that marking in it now, I tear up, because I won't see any more of those. Gram, is hopefully enjoying the big library in heaven or doing all sorts of wonderful things there now.

I still like seeing how people leave their mark on books. I buy a lot of used paperbacks at Goodwill and other second hand shops and sometimes you see the most interesting markings. Some will leave "x"s like gram, others their names. Some leave stars which leads me to think they are rating the story.

I have a book now, Marta Perry's Promise Forever that has 3 stars. It makes me wonder if that means the book was really good or just mediocre? How did they rate the story. Why 3 stars?

I only rate books on my social networking book sites, like Goodreads, Shelfari or Eharlquin's blogs and forums. Most of the time I feel my reviews speak for how I felt about a book, no matter how long or short that review is. That doesn't stop me from being intrigued by other people's rating systems. I like to know why people like or dislike something, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

So how do you rate your books? Do you ever leave a mark in the book so that you know its yours or that you've read it?

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs