Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Future Of Libraries

What is going to happen to libraries as eReaders become more and more the rage? I find this troubling, even though I love that there is now a technology that should keep most books in print forever.

If libraries lend eBooks, then what is the fate of print media or for that matter digital sales. Why would you buy a download for a book when you could borrow it?

Now don't get me wrong. I love technology, but life would be so empty if everything became digital. Music is now on invisible files that you transfer to your iPods. Books are slowly going that way. More digital books were sold after Christmas on Amazon then actual books.

I don't know why, but I find that just a bit depressing.

When did it become unnecessary to have something tangible?

Maybe I'm old fashioned. I love holding books. I love the smell of a book. I love combing the shelves in stores and libraries for something good to read. If all that had to be done by logging on to a website on my computer or on a device of some sort I think just a little bit of the fun in life would go away.

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Tea Time kit and the Saturday Night kit by MK-Designs